Thursday 15 November 2007

What a lousy burger

There is a fancy burger shop not far from the office. I have previously seen it at a distance, and always made a mental note to visit it one day and see how luxurious their burgers really are.

I finally got the chance today.

A plain burger meal set me back $9.50 - chips, Pepsi and a burger that consisted of a bun, some meat, a few gerkins and a great slather of mustard. And I mean a slather. Noah could have floated the ark on the flood of mustard that had been poured across the bun.

I should mention here that I hate Pepsi. Finding that they only sold Pepsi didn't get them into my good books, but I can live with that. Not every fast food joint is perfect.

The chips were very average. Un-crunchy. Not soggy. Not undercooked. But not even a hint of crispiness.

The bun was..... I don't know how to describe the bun. It was not a floury bap. It was not a plain vanilla mass produced white lump of bread that you get in a supermarket. But it wasn't any good either.

And the mustard. I like mustard. I like all sorts of mustard. But I like fancy mustard in small quantities. I can't bear to have cheap mustard slathered on with a paint roller.

They had about 6 beef burgers, about the same number of chicken and possibly some other types of burgers. I didn't pay that much attention.

I am going to give it another go. It might be that I selected the most boring burger on the list, and paid the penalty for my timidity. I should have gone for something that included everything, along with the kitchen sink.

Every place deserves a second chance.

No comments: