Sunday 4 November 2007

What was Wilbur Smith thinking?

I've always enjoyed sitting down with a Wilbur Smith book - they tend to be a cracking good yarn. A bit over the top at times, but then what do you expect from fiction?

I read 'Warlock' recently. I was thinking about God knows what this morning when I suddenly thought, "Is this an allegory for stem cell research?"

You'd have to read the whole book in order to get that question, but I take it from reading the book that he is not a fan of stem cell research. He manages to paint it in the worst light possible - and I know what you are thinking. This book is set in ancient Egypt, about 3000 years ago, so how can there be a connection to stem cells?

I'm not going to bother explaining it. If you like reading his books, you'll read it anyway eventually and maybe you'll see my point. If you don't like reading his books, then don't worry about it. Just take my word for it.

No comments: