Friday 23 November 2007

More meat

I must have been buying meat at a supermarket for too long.

I dropped in at my local butcher this week and bought some T-bone steaks. Instead of getting a couple off the tray in the window, the butcher's flunky grabbed a rack and asked me how thickly I wanted them cut.

I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say. It has been a long time since anyone has offered me a choice of how I want my steak sliced up. He asked me if normal was ok, and I just nodded my head. I was too confused to speak.

After cooking them, I discovered that "normal" thickness, which is actually normal, is really too thin for my liking. I am going to ask for "extra thick" this week and some fat bastards on the BBQ. I want them thick enough that they stay rare in the middle. I think I will start with 50% thicker than normal and work my way up.

This is a series of experiments that I am really looking forward to.

No comments: