Sunday 4 November 2007

Anyone for a $280 bottle of vinegar?

According to the SMH, my local deli is selling very expensive vinegar.

Even vinegar is costly. P. & R. Raineri's Delicatessen in Five Dock has a 250-millilitre bottle of balsamic vinegar on sale for $280. It is 75 years old and the only one in Australia.

Funnily enough, I was in that shop only a few weeks ago, and I was hunting for good quality "proper" vinegar. That is, vinegar that has been made the traditional way, and is not crap quality vinegar with caramel and colouring added to make it look like balsamic.

I ended up buying a bottle from the Essential Ingredient, and I did not pay $280 for it. But I am sure it cost me somewhere between $20 and $30.

I am so tempted to pop around the corner this morning in order to blow $280.

No comments: