Thursday 12 November 2009

I need to drink more often

This is the second RBT that I've been waved through two days in a row. Obviously the cops manning these drunk stops have never walked past the locations in town where the bike couriers hang out on Fridays and drink like crazy.


I wonder how wobbly I'd have to be before they'd consider pulling me over?

I have given up trying to edit these videos in Picasa, and gone back to Windows Movie Maker. I might have to consider splashing out some dosh on a proper editing package.

As for the camera that I am using, if money was no object, I would buy a VIO POV 1.5 megapack, which retails for $US629.

Since I am not made of money, I have gone with an Oregon Scientific ATC3K "action camera", which I bought online for $AUS220.



I didn't have any problems mounting it on the handlebars, and the quality is passable. It really does seem to be as rugged and waterproof as the advertising blurb makes out - I have accidentally dropped it on concrete, and ridden in heavy rain a number of times without a hiccup.

On the downside, I don't like the limited field of view, the poor image quality or the fact that it is too heavy to mount properly on a well ventilated bike helmet. You also need to spend more money on a proper SD memory card (I got a 4GB card for $34) and a set of rechargeable batteries (I bought 4 and a charger for $80). So all up, you are facing at least $330 to get setup.

However, as it largely has the market to itself at this price point, you either buy one or you don't. Now that I have it, I wouldn't ride without it.

If you don't feel like shelling out $330 just yet, I suggest you wait a while and see if they release a new model with better image quality.

No comments: