Wednesday 29 April 2009

A thousand cubic yards of dog shit

OK, I made up that bit about the thousand cubic yards, but the rest is broadly true. My ride today took me along this canal, which has been undergoing a major renovation for some time - the leaks in the sides are being fixed and all the muck in the bottom is being scraped up and hauled away.


I got to this point and got a whiff of what they were digging out. I had to stop and take a photo as a reminder - it was pure eau de dog poop. A front end loader like the one in this picture has been digging this crap out day after day for months - it has taken them all year to scrape up the goop over a 500 metre stretch, and there is a long way to go.

Next time you see a dog owner failing to pick up their dog's crap, you know where that will end up. In a layer about two feet thick in a canal like this.

1 comment:

RebeccaH said...

I don't get people. When I was a dog owner (and boy, do I miss that), I never walked them anywhere without a plastic bag in my pocket that I could whip out and pick up. I love dogs, and accept their animal ways, but I never in my life thought other people should be burdened with their (sometimes substantial) gifts to nature.