Monday 3 September 2007

This hills are alive, with the sound of god-botherers

Here we have our local Hillsong church, which looks like a converted shop. I say "local" loosely, as this is a good 5km from our place.




The first time I saw this church, I was lost as buggery. I had gone for a cycle on a weekend and had completely lost my bearings. I decided that since I knew the water was to the north and Parramatta Road to the south, I would simply go one way until I hit either the water or the road, and then I would know which direction to go in. I might not know where I was, but at least I would know which way to head to get home.

It was around then that I first had thoughts about buying a GPS that I could mount on the handlebars.

I was riding along a street, completely lost, when I saw a gaggle of well polished cars ahead of me, together with gaggles of well dressed youth. I thought I had stumbled onto a secret drag racing meet, but it turned out that they had all just finished a service and were standing around on the footpath having a gasbag. As I rode past, I made a mental note of the church, since at the time, the Hillsong mob were attracting a lot of attention for having Costello address them and that sort of thing.

Anyway, there I am riding along today, and I bump into the same church. Except this time, I know where I am, and how to get home. It's amazing what a year or two of stooging around the backstreets of an area will teach you.

No comments: