Monday 24 September 2007

Flight paths

We live under a flight path. It's no big deal. At times, we get a plane overhead every 3 minutes (that is the difference in the time stamps between the two photos below).



It's not something that bothers me. The planes are generally up high enough so that they aren't that noisy. You occasionally get something going overhead that makes a really good racket, but they're rate - maybe one every few days. At other times, we get no planes at all.



The way I see it, it's the price we pay for cheap travel to interesting destinations both interstate and overseas. You can't have your cake and eat it. You can't fly to Vanuatu for a conference on how global warming will impact on sea levels and then come home and complain about all the planes stacked up overhead.

Their noise doesn't bother me because it is the sound of freedom - the ability to pack up and go somewhere else (for a price). I'm also not bothered because I know that engineers have been slaving for years to make these things as quiet as technology will allow. It's not like the airlines are deliberately flying in the noisiest manner possible. They're doing their best. As time goes by, they will get quieter.

I wish I could say the same for cars. I think we have a much bigger problem around here with wogs driving cars with exhaust pipes the size of a two litre Coke bottle, and a stereo that could be used for psychological warfare across the Korean DMZ. Those people shit me, because they have deliberately made their cars noisier in order to pump up their tiny little egos. It's all about "look at me".

I would love to look at them through the sights of a Carl Gustav. The Carl Gustav is the noisiest thing I have ever come in contact with. It makes a Kiss concert look tame. Sometimes, you just need to make a really, really big noise in order to make all the smaller, but more insistent and annoying noises go away.

No comments: