Friday 14 September 2007

MOAB

I have a very simple BBQ - it is a 2 burner model, and the prime requirement when I bought it was that it had to be small enough to fit on the balconey of the apartment that I lived in at the time.

Only one burner works at the moment, so I am down to one hot plate.

Funnily enough, it is more than enough for our humble BBQ-ing needs. I did 9 chops on it tonight, and they all fitted on ok without having to be jostled around to make space. It was cheap, it's comparatively light, and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Compare that with the MOAB (Mother of All BBQ's) that I saw today in a BBQ shop.

It was entirely made of marine grade stainless steel (whatever that is).

It had six burners and some sort of infra-red warming thing.

It had a granite benchtop attached that provided more benchspace than we have in our kitchen.
There was a sink attached to the left.

There was a glass fronted bar fridge under the counter on the right.

It had multiple drawers for holding.... I don't know what.

All up, it was $17,990.

Yes, nearly 18 thousand bucks for a BBQ. And that didn't include shipping and installation.

Tell me we haven't gotten richer over the last decade. Come on, just try and tell me that we're all wretchedly poor and badly off.

Beats me if they've sold any though.

There was one nice touch in this BBQ shop - all the "mens stuff" like BBQ's and tongs and things were on one side of the store, and the other side was dedicated to nice looking outdoor furniture. I saw several men browsing amongst the iron whilst their significant others sat on the outdoor lounges and had a chat. I reckon they must upsell a lot, going from just one BBQ to a BBQ with a new outdoor setting.

Very smart.

No comments: