Saturday 8 September 2007

A police force patrols on its stomach

I was heading across town to Hyde Park when an odd sight confronted me at a set of lights. I was stopped outside the NRMA building when a rental van of some sort pulled up and two cops got out. My initial thought was that it was a rent-a-paddy-wagon. ie, the police were renting extra vans in order to hold arrested protesters.

Sadly, it was not to be. It was the grub truck. The back was full of packed lunches - a veritable meals on wheels. You tend to forget about the logistics of organising the security for an event like this. How do you keep thousands of police fed and supplied with coffee and donuts? Where were the Krispy Kreme vans?



And where do they all go when they need to have a piss?

I thought about going over and checking on the welfare of the constabulary by asking them if the tucker was any good, but thought the better of it. They might have forced me to eat some of it.

No comments: