Tuesday 18 September 2007

Three bike article that caught my fancy

I was checking out back issues of Australian Cyclist this morning when three articles caught my eye for different reasons.

The first regards a "buttguard", whatever that is - there is no accompanying photo with the article, so I can't see what it looks like.

I bookmarked it because of this paragraph:

Personally I like fitting a rear mudguard to my bike: it makes people think I’m hardcore enough to ride in the rain.

Oh for crying out loud, don't be such a wimp. If it rains, you get a wet arse. In fact if it rains, you usually get wet all over, even if you have a natty rain jacket. It's just a fact of life. You are exposed to the elements, therefore you get wet.

Hardcore. Pfft.

The next article was about riding to work. Since 90% of my riding up until now has been the ride-to-work variety, I linked to it because I can empathise with some of it.

Some of it I can't.

I did like this quote:

Early on in my racing career I earned the nickname “Aspirin” because I would dissolve whenever I got wet – racing or training, I couldn’t ride in the rain.

Aspirin - I like that.

The last article describes riding out to Liverpool, which is a Bridge Too Far if you ask me. I liked it because it explains that it really isn't that scary riding out there, although I would prefer to take a Glock with me if anyone asks me to do it.

It talks a bit about the Cooks River Cycleway, which I have been riding of late. I am about to get off my fat behind and go and do it now actually. Just need 15 more minutes of web browsing to get enthused....

No comments: