Friday 14 September 2007

Are students really that poor?

I live in a reasonably affluent area. The median price of houses around here is in the vicinity of $800,000, and just down the road, it is over the million mark. You don't see many banged up old cars, or people that look like they are down to their last ten cents (although if interest rates keep going up, I suspect I might see a few BMW drives who are down to their last dollar after the bank has cleaned them out).

That said, it's hard to get good cheese around here. The selection is good, but not great. To get outstanding French cheese that costs $70 a kilo and upwards, you need to go to a shopping centre where there are a lot of affluent people.

The closest one for me that meets that criteria is Broadway, which is right next door to two universities. Funny how a population of "dirt poor" students can support a cheese counter that is longer than my lounge room.

Next time you hear students whining about how poor they are, just think of the Pont l'Eveque. The last time I bought some, it was retailing for around $100 a kilo.

No comments: