Monday 3 September 2007

Pane e Vino

All rides are undertaken with one eye watching for a good place to stop and have a coffee. I decided to meander around Breakfast Point today because I have given up trying to find a good cafe in the Homebush area.



I found this place off the beaten track - Pane e Vino, which means "Bread and wine". It's not really that far off the beaten track. In fact, it's on a main thoroughfare. It's just that it is not a road that I frequent that often. Before today, I might not have frequented it at all.

I liked the place, simply because it was nice, the service was good and the coffee was quite good. It would be a disaster if the service had been bad, as the waiter:customer ratio was 1:1. I was one of three customers. All three staff came out to see if I needed anything at one point or another.

I had a macchiato, which was one of the best I have ever had. It came in a cup not much larger than a thimble, and the coffee was quite thick and was topped with very little milky foam. Once I had added a dash of sugar, it was like Turkish coffee. Given that I normally only have one coffee per day, and this was my second, I had to resist the urge to have another. It was a violent urge, mainly because the coffee was so good.

I also wanted to have a pie, as they make their own, but they can't have been making many of late as there were none left. Or they are so good, they are all sold out by 2.30pm each day. Given the lack of pies, I opted for a quiche, but they were all gone as well. The next choice was a burger, but I doubted I would be able to make the trip home with a gut full of burger, so I had to leave it at one coffee.

The breakfast menu looked good as well. Perhaps over-complicated, but good. Tuesday is their day off. If it wasn't, I would be there tomorrow morning testing the breakfast.

The only thing that spoiled my interlude was the view. Specifically, a view of two rock apes in a red Commodore parked just down the road. The wanker in the passenger seat had dumped his fast food container out the window, and it was just sitting on the verge next to the car. They just sat there - fiddling with the fluffy dice and yabbering on about something or other. It would have been nicer if they had pissed off somewhere else - like driven off the end of the nearby wharf and ended up on the bottom of the Parramatta river with all the other scum and pollutants.

No comments: