Wednesday 20 May 2009

Where is the bicycle?

Sadly, it's been parked for a few weeks. I got the flu, then the kids got the flu, then J got busy at work, then I got busy at work, then the weather turned to poo.... it just goes on and on. The only time I seem to have to go riding is around 10pm, and that is not a terribly attractive time to be on the road.

It just reinforces my opinion that the best way to fit exercise into a busy schedule is to make your commute your exercise time. It doesn't help if you live 50km or more from your place of work, but a hell of a lot of people have a commute of only 10-15km. That's a reasonably easy ride, once you work up to it. If you're within 5-6km, you can walk instead. I met a bloke once that commuted to his office in North Sydney by kayak.

Someone once said to me that you should work out where you want to live, then find a job that supports you living in that location. I know that is easier said than done, but it is an interesting goal to aim for. Too many people get a job, then work out where they are going to live. That's getting the whole work/life balance thing wrong from the start.

I'm looking forward to working a few days in the city from the week after next - even though winter is coming, and it is getting cold and wet, I relish the idea of getting out of my car and back on my bike for part of the week for the trip to work.

4 comments:

Blognor Regis said...

Check out this guy!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1399202.computer_expert_sails_past_rushhour_traffic/

Boy on a bike said...

When I was at uni, some people would occasionally wind surf to uni. They'd walk into lectures in wet bare feet with sand still stuck to them.

That's the life.

Richard_H said...

H'mmm,
The commute is definately the time to exercise. Work to home is only a few Km, but it's easy to extend the ride, morning and night. Now I work somewhere with a shower, I can end up getting a good solid hour of riding in, 4 or so times a week. Helping the gut no end!

I've been riding so much (for me, *ahem*, not a great deal by fit person standards) that this rainy week here in Brisbane is a bit of a blessing. My legs have been pretty tired lately, the rest is feeling good for them

Boy on a bike said...

My bike commute is generally too short to be terribly useful, so I often extend on the way home - I like to go for 90 minutes on the way home, weather and traffic permitting.

My legs are usually shot by Friday morning. Coming home on Friday afternoon can be a real struggle. That's life on the road.