Wednesday 16 December 2009

The stupidest things I failed to say today

I normally take Monkey to the shops - he loves running up and down the aisles, or doing spins in the trolley. To him, going to the shops is almost as much fun as setting fire to a nest of ants.

Junior on the other hand has reached his teenage years, and he'd much prefer to hang out sullenly in his room thinking deep emo thoughts. For reasons I won't bore you with, he had to come shopping with me tonight. He didn't even want to get out of the car when we got there. Even though all he had to do was follow me around the supermarket as I grabbed things, I wanted him to realise that the fridge does not magically fill itself with goodies. Someone has to go out and do the shopping.

When he got huffy, I almost snapped at him, "Food doesn't grow on trees, you know".

Thankfully, my brain was marginally quicker than my mouth, and I kept that from getting out. How stupid would you feel saying that?

1 comment:

bigtones said...

so caught up in the situation (I have so been there) that it took me a moment to work out what was wrong with that statement. Perhaps something along the lines "Mold grows in fridges, food doesn't!"