Sunday 28 October 2007

Would you buy a landcruiser?

I did a survey last week that wanted to know my opinions about a new ad that Toyota have put together for the latest Landcruiser.

It was a great ad. I even remembered that it was for Landcruiser 10 minutes after watching it, which is not bad going, given that I can't remember what most ads were on about 10 seconds after they finish.

However, it did nothing to convince me to buy a Landcruiser. If I was working on a mine, or on a farm, I'd want a Landcruiser. I think they are great off road, and are as rugged as they come. However, I also think that they are hideously uncomfortable and a pig to drive on the bitumen. Even the fancy pants top of the line models are pigs. Enormous fat pigs.

So Toyota have a great ad coming up, but it skates over me like a flat stone skipping on a pond. In the end, the things that sell me on a car are nothing to do with the advertising - they are the intrinsic qualities of the vehicle. If the vehicle characteristics do not suit what I want to do, then all the advertising in the world is a waste of money.

No comments: