Thursday 18 October 2007

Organic food dying out

Our local supermarket is a fairly upmarket affair. For as long as I have been shopping there, it's had a big section set aside for the greenies and the organic fruit-head types.

Well, all that is no more. I went past that section tonight and found that it was now where all the crappy machine produced TipTop bread is kept. Rack upon rack of mass-produced, sponge-like muck now occupies the space that used to hold organic yoghurt, organic olive oil and all that stuff.

Good riddance. I never saw anyone in there buying it, so supermarket management obviously wised up finally, looked at the till-rolls, did the sums and ripped all that rubbish out. The only stuff left is some bio-dynamic yoghurt that is fast approaching the use-by date and some funny looking breakfast cereal. I wonder if it will still be there after the weekend.

As you'd expect, the removal and disposal of a few tonnes of bio-dynamic seaweed juice has elicited not even a peep of protest from the local wogs. As long as you don't mess with the pasta aisle, I doubt they give a damn what is on the shelves.

I do hope that I run into a confused greenie one night, wandering around the shop in a dazed state whilst searching for organic custard.

No comments: