Monday 15 October 2007

Legs

Oh boy, a morning of sore legs awaited me today. I didn't ride far yesterday - only about 30km max. I left too late for a really long ride, the day was hot and so I cut it short. However, when you put together a good ride on Saturday with lots of hills that I have not done in ages, and then another reasonable ride on Sunday, it bashed me around a bit.

The last time I headed for the airport, the ride lasted about 3 hours and I got as far as The Fishos, which is also known as the Brighton-le-Sands fishing club. I think the red arrow shows the spot where I did a U-turn on that trip. If you have any idea of what Sydney looks like, the big yellow patch on the right is the airport. Which airport? The big airport. The one that everyone flies into.



I had no idea where I was of course. I had just followed a couple of other blokes on bikes for the last 10km and simply hoped that they had some idea of where they were going. I know now that if I had kept on going to the water and then turned left, I could have gone through the middle of the airport and then down to La Perouse. But I'd probably need to set aside four hours to do that and get home, and I only really had 1.5 hours on Sunday, so I didn't go far at all.

I used to scoff at Chook when he'd tell me about going for an 80 or 100km ride on the weekend, and I would wonder how he could find the time to get away from the kids and wife to do that. Well, I now know that the only way really is to get up at about 5am and get home about the time they are waking up after a big sleep in. Trying to go in the middle of the day can be a write off, especially as the weather is getting warmer and the tanning effects of the sun are getting worse. I have had two good weekends on the road, out in the sun, and I am about 10 shades darker than I was last month.

No comments: