Saturday 13 October 2007

Fresh paint

Leichhardt Council have done a nice job of putting down a bit of green paint on Lilyfield Road. Wherever there is an intersection that crosses the bike lane, they've put paint across it. I guess the idea is to warn drivers coming in from a side street that they might be about to encounter a bike going up or down the road.



This is what I call a 60km/h hill. If you just roll down the hill without even bothering to pedal, you'll hit 60km/h by the time you get to the bottom. When I come down this hill, the last thing I want to do is stay close to the left hand side and risk having some goose open a car door, or some idiot come out of a side street with a mobile phone glued to one ear and their attention elsewhere. Since there is very little traffic on this section of road, I normally come pretty much straight down the centre line, because that is also the best way to avoid all the manhole covers and things that litter the downhill side. In fact I really use a weave - going from one side of a manhole cover to the other side of the next one.

The only useful bit of green paint is the bit just in front of where I am standing, since drivers come out of the carpark on the left with their head up their arse most of the time.

The council has done the same thing all the way up Lilyfield Road towards the ANZAC Bridge. It's nice to see them doing this, but I can't figure out why they just didn't paint the whole lane from go to whoa instead of just doing the bits that go past intersections.



It's little things like that which get up my nose.

No comments: