Friday 20 July 2007

Riding

Since this blog is ostensibly supposed to be partly about cycling, I will mention that I went for a ride today.

It was short and not altogether happy. The wind was blowing, it was about 12 degrees in the sun and I am still not completely rid of the flu. I am still sucking on the cough medicine every now and then to keep a nasty tickle in the throat under control.

The result was that my ride was one where I felt like I had a cloth soaked in sulphuric acid wrapped around my mouth. My lungs really started to burn after a while, and I completely failed to cough up any of the green goo that is still sitting in my throat and annoying the bejesus out of me.

I did manage to blow my nose on my brand new riding jacket though. I have never managed to snot on myself whilst riding - until today. My neck must be quite stiff still - I just can't rotate it enough to get the left nostril up high enough to squirt snot over my left shoulder.

The riding jacket is the best thing that I have bought in a while. It cost me $199, and it's warm and windproof. I really felt quite snug and comfortable in it today. It's not waterproof, but it should be fine in a light shower. I am wondering why it took me so long to buy it.

Sizing problems are the reason why. It was really the only jacket in the shop that would fit. If you watch the Tour de France, you'll notice how skinny all the riders are, and how they have no shoulders. That is not my body shape. I tried on the largest jacket from one supplier, and I couldn't do it up. The next one was not much better - I could do it up, but not breathe. I bought this jacket mainly because I could do it up and breathe.

After all that, all I managed was a paltry 15km, which is pathetic. And I got home and just collapsed on the couch and fell asleep. I must have more flu running around inside me than I first thought.

No comments: