Wednesday 11 July 2007

Oh God, I think I killed the cake

Don't ask me why, but I have had this hankering to eat lamingtons for a while. We bought some lamington fingers at a shop last week, but after eating a few, I felt quite sick. After reading the list of ingredients on the side of the packet, I felt even worse.

How hard can it be to make a lamington? You get your hands on a sponge cake, make up a chocolate icing mix, dip the spongey bits into it and cover with dessicated coconut.

Try buying just a plain sponge cake these days. We tried all the local bakeries, plus half a dozen supermarkets, and none of them carry sponge cake. They all sell lamingtons though - I guess there is more value-add in a lamington.

We did spot one interesting glitch in the market - Michel's patisserie sells a single lamington for more than the price of an entire tray of lamington fingers at a supermarket. On the other hand, the lamington fingers almost made me throw up, so there might be some value in buying a flash lamington.

Given the paucity of sponge cakes in the shops, I decided to bake one for myself. It can't be that hard.

Well, maybe it is. I just pulled my sponge out of the oven and the centre is so deflated, it looks like a donut with an incompletely formed hole in the middle. I guess I can salvage the outer bits for lamingtons.

I can see I need some practice at this.

No comments: