Monday 2 July 2007

Coffee cups


We have a nice selection of travel mugs for use on road trips. Two of them are from McDonalds, because the McCafe's do the best coffee on the road (usually, but not all the time) and you get a nice discount if you take one of their mugs in.

I used to drink a latte on the road, but on this trip, I switched to a macchiato with an extra shot. It tastes like crap in a coffee mug, but I am sick of asking for a short latte and having my mug filled to the brim.

The first problem is that although these mugs have good lids to stop spillage, we have roads that are so bad, the bumps and pot holes defeat even the most tightly sealed lids. I hate getting coffee on my console - especially milky coffee. It is painful to remove.

The second thing I hate is that you end up with a full bladder in no time. I don't want to drink 9 litres of weak, milky coffee on a drive to Wagga in order to ingest enough caffeine to keep me going. I want to ingest the minimum amount of coffee for the maximum coffee hit. I really should just take packets of dried instant coffee and eat them instead of trying to add water and drink it, but I am not that far gone yet.

The macchiato's are not bad, but the poor McCafe wenches have no idea how to put them through the till - particularly when you order an extra shot and want it in a branded mug that attracts a discount. They punched my order in three times today and managed to get it completely wrong on two occasions.

The other hilarious thing is that I hand over my mug and ask for a coffee. On each occasion recently, the silly barista has asked, "Do you want it in this mug?" I should answer, "No, I want it poured in my ear."

No comments: