Sunday 25 April 2010

Impatient enough to kill someone

I was going to title this post "Mongs behind the wheel", but I figured that would offend a few folk, so I had to think of something else. After all, it's insulting to the less-abled to be compared to some of the freaking fucktards out there on the road.

Like this person. A road engineer, with possibly a degree and all that, has decided that people were driving around this S-shaped bit of road too fast - so they put a bumpy strip down the middle to slow people down to a more sensible rate of forward progress. I drive around here every now and then, and know that the going any faster than 30 is a bit silly.


Because I can take a straight line through here on the bike, I can actually go faster than most cars can. They have to turn the wheel this way and then that way, whereas I just cut through the apexes.


But not even that deters the "I'm in a super-hurry" crowd from crossing over a double white line and going the wrong way through the S-corner - even though the corner is blind at a few points.


This is the 3rd or 4th time that this has happened to me over the last few months, and I don't go up this road all that often (or that slowly). You'd think that people would take it easy on the quiet suburban back streets (kids playing cricket on the road and all that) - but no. They actually get faster and more aggressive.

You can see the Mong-man here in full motion video.


There are lots of trees with overhanging branches in these streets. I might have to start lurking in the canopy with a chainsaw, ready to drop the odd bough on the idiots tearing past below.

No comments: