Saturday 8 September 2007

Spring cycle

The annual Spring Cycle is on next month. It's a 50km ride that starts in North Sydney, crosses the Harbour Bridge and finishes up at Homebush. For me, it's more like a 70km ride as I have to cycle to North Sydney first, and my only way of getting home from Homebush is to hit the pedals one more time.

This year, I did the right thing and signed up early. That way, the organisers can post me my number in advance (you have to wear a number on your jersey - I guess it makes you feel like an athlete.) The year before last, I signed up the day before, and was punished for my stupidity by having to stand in a queue in North Sydney for half an hour to be issued with my number.

You can start anytime after 7am (I think). The entire route is cleared by the police, including a lane over the Harbour Bridge, so you can take off as soon as the road is clear. I wanted to get my number in advance this time because by the time I got going last time, I was stuck in a pack of 5000 pensioners, cripples and five year olds. The speed of the pack was about 0.1km/h above that which I needed to stay upright. It was a horrible experience.

Now that I have paid my $40 in advance, I will probably get the flu and be unable to ride on the day.

Such is life.

No comments: