Tuesday 25 September 2007

Kingdom of Heaven

When it first appeared at the cinema, I remember reading some rather scathing reviews of the movie. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much when it was on TV recently.

In the end, I thought it was quite good. Were some of the crusaders religious maniacs? Undoubtedly. It was an age of superstition and magic and witchcraft and all that. I don't think the writers were too hard on the christians or too easy on the muslims. A good backgrounder to this period is "A world lit only by fire" by William Manchester.

I still think the lead character, whatever his pirate name was, is a bit of a poof. I wouldn't have cast him in the lead.

I'd watch it again. It won't go down as an all time great movie, but it sure craps all over "Alexander" and "Troy" and those other execrable historical movies that came out around that time.

No comments: