Tuesday 18 September 2007

Progressives and teachers

I hate these signs.



I hate them so much, I am thinking of making up my own with some catchy slogans and then sticking them to school fences. Something like:

"Public education: our useless teachers are unsackable".

I read a good post over at Kerplunk today about "progressives"

Kerplunk - Common sense from Down Under: The intellectual adolescence of "Progressive" politics

It's a long post, and "progressive" really is a yank term, but it helped me understand why I hate signs like the above. What are they really saying when they write "Our children are the future"? That the children going to private schools are the past? That private school kids have no part to play in the future, or they are horrible conservatives that will take us back to 1956?

Then there is the question: the future of what?

The future of jail populations?

The future of drug abuse?

The future of dole bludging?

I'll always remember dad telling me that Hitler was a progressive. He wanted to change the world. He also wanted to kill all of us, but he thought that was a change for the better.

Progressives. Can't shoot them, have to put up with them.

No comments: