Monday 10 September 2007

Do you fire flares of release them?

I have read several stories today about RAAF F18's "firing" flares at a Cessna over the weekend.

Do modern aircraft "fire" flares or do they "release" them? What is the proper terminology?

I would pick "release", and here are some lovely photos of lots of flares being released by various aircraft.

To my way of thinking, "firing" involves shooting something out. Bombs are released. Bullets are fired. I guess missiles are released since they ignite after they leave the pylon. Rockets are fired.

I just wonder how the hell the RAAF "fired" flares at the Cessna? Did they zoom over the top of it and then release them out the back?

When I hear that a pilot has "fired flares", I think of someone in a Sopwith Camel using a flare pistol from an open cockpit. I doubt the Hornet pilots were able to open their canopies in flight and do the same, and I have never heard of a pod that you can attach to a Hornet that allows you to sneak up behind someone and fire flares at them.

Unless they had decided to get serious and were in fact firing tracer, which would be another matter altogether. I might have to stir up some greenie truthers by telling them that the Hornets were in fact firing depleted plutonium shells, specially fabricated at Lucas Heights for the conference, and that everyone knows that plutonium burns in contact with air. What people on the ground saw were igniting plutonium rounds.

These rounds hit the ground near Auburn and demolished a kebab shop, as the photo below demonstrates:



A resident of Lakemba holds two 20mm depleted plutonium bullets that were fired at her house by the RAAF over the weekend. She says it was part of a government plot to kill Keysar Trad, who was having dinner there at the time.

No comments: