Monday 24 September 2007

More bike path coming up

One good thing about our council is that it has a bike plan, which appears to be more than most of the other useless councils around here have. The bad news is that it will cost $42 or $46 million dollars to complete, which is about $40 million more than the council will have over the next 10 years. Unless the RTA coughs up some money, most of it is a pipe dream.

One bit that is getting built, bit by bit, is a proper path around the Bay Run. I was going around it the other day when I noticed a new sign (roadwork ahead) and some trucks in the distance offloading concrete road barriers (I have put a red rectangle around them).



1 minute later, I was stuck in a huge traffic jam (me and two cars) as barrier segments were offloaded from a truck.



The biggest impact of these works on local traffic is that this part of the road is going to be one way until the path construction stuff is done. Blow me down if I wasn't driving around there this morning (going the correct way and all) when I just about had a head on with a bonehead that decided to ignore the "no right turn" signs and turned the wrong way into the traffic.

He missed me, and he missed the car behind me, but I am not so sure about everyone else.



It just goes to show that you can do all the risk assesments in the world, erect moutains of signage, stuff leaflets under doors until the Amazon rain forests are no more and there will still be at least one idiot that will disregard everything and try and kill the first motorist they meet that morning.

It's time I had my car fitted with a sideways firing flame thrower.

No comments: