Monday 17 September 2007

Bring out your dead

It's that time of the year again - our lovely council has organised to take away any old crap that you can be bothered putting out on the verge. It's done twice a year around here - I wish it was done 4 times a year. People need to be encouraged to ditch old junk more regularly. It's the only way to keep the Chinese economy powering along, and thus continuing our resource boom. C'mon, if we aren't throwing stuff out, we aren't buying stuff. Do it for the miners - buy something.

I started doing a little photo essay on what the neighbours are chucking out, but I was too slow. The scavenger vehicles have been doing the rounds as well and I reckon they have nabbed all the good stuff before I have had a chance to photograph it.

I blew up our old microwave a few weeks back. I put a cup of coffee into it to reheat, and the blasted thing caught fire. I put it out on the verge last night, and by the time I went inside to get the camera to take a photo of it, someone nabbed it.

Who on earth would want a fried microwave? Surely they must have noticed the big black melted section inside? Ah well, I guess they will when they plug it in and turn it on...

Here is a short selection of what the neighbours are ditching. Nothing of any great interest unfortunately. Sometimes you see really fascinating stuff being thrown out, but I think because we are in a high-wog area, the old wogs won't throw anything out until it is totally and utterly knackered. A chair has to be down to its last leg before they'll toss it.

These chairs though look like stolen property - from St Albans.












The esky contains pebbles - the sort you normally find in ornamental gardens or fish ponds. I was looking for the fish tank, but there was naught to be seen.



Here is one of the sly bastards doing the rounds picking up all the good bits.









This garage door was not being thrown out. I took a photo because I was fascinated that someone would let their door get this bad. I'd be out there with a tin of paint in a flash if this happened to me.

Then I'd rig a claymore mine to a sensor that detects aerosol paints.



I will have to walk the streets again this morning to see what else ends up out the front. There has to be something half interesting out there.

I have only spotted one couch so far - ours. As soon as I found out the bulk rubbish collection was on, we hot footed it over to Crows Nest, which is the land of sofa shops, and bought a new couch. It won't be here for 4-5 weeks, but we took the opportunity to get rid of the old one in anticipation.

The old couch still has plenty of life left in it, but it's too short. We have bought something that is long enough for people around 6 1/2 feet tall to stretch out on. I guess the old one will end up at Bondi.

No comments: