Saturday 8 September 2007

Dear Jamie

Dear Mr Oliver

Bought your latest cook book the other day. Cost me sixty bucks. Read it that afternoon - found about three recipes that I can use.

Then I watched your latest TV show last night. I even recorded it, since the kids were playing up and I couldn't hear a word you were saying.

I've just watched the show, and it has gone straight into the delete bucket. Yes, I am interested in knowing how to cook all forms of broccoli, but there is a limit. Heck, apart from the odd urge to eat chicken, J is a complete vego. I need to be able to cook interesting vegetarian food in order to keep her happy. I was hoping you'd give me a few recipes that I could use to stop her getting the grumps, but I'm afraid you failed.

To start with, she doesn't eat chili. I'm sure that cauliflower and chili go together really well, but I don't think I will ever get the chance to try it. Then there was another recipe that used an entire tin of anchovies. Yes, I love anchovies. I don't buy them in tins - I buy great big jars of them in oil. Trouble is, I never get a chance to cook with them as J doesn't like fish, and certainly doesn't like anchovies.

So what is to be done? My brother lived in the UK when you were climbing the ladder of success, and he had to put up with being bombarded by you to a much greater extent than we Australians ever had. To put it bluntly, he thinks you are a prat.

Unfortunately, I am starting to think the same way. Help me out here. I don't need to be too adventurous in the kitchen. Just give me something I can cook that the whole family will like.

No comments: