Friday 31 August 2007

Who lives here?

I snapped this photo earlier this week. It's of a house around the corner from us. I've driven past it dozens of times, but never really looked at it closely. It's funny how you can go past something many, many times, and really only have a very superficial image of the place.

I had a closer look because I was on the bike, and I was annoyed at a car parked out the front of it. This street is quite narrow, and if cars are parked on both sides of the street, it becomes a one way street, and you have to slalom your way up and down the street. I have become quite annoyed at the car out the front because I always have to slalom around it because of the stupid way it is parked.



Well, maybe not for much longer. The rego on the car out the front expired two months ago, and I have reported it to the Council. With luck, they will post a warning sticker on it shortly, and it will be towed away in a month.

Now all I need to do is get the Council to take away the boat parked on the other side of the road.

The front yard of this house is completely fascinating. On top of the abandoned car out the front, there is another in the driveway. Just beside the rear wheel there is a sofa that is covered in 1960's style hi-fi equipment. The yard next to the car is overgrown with weeds that reach to hip level, and the only spots not covered in weeds are those that contain other furniture that has been left outside to rot. I might have to stake the place out to see who emerges - is it a mad old granny who hoards everything, or some drug addled hippies? Or perhaps some students who put more effort into smoking bongs than studying and cleaning up the house.

Regardless of all that, I'd be horrified if the place is rented. Imagine if you owned this house and the agent had let it go to hell like this.

The other alternative of course is that it is owner occupied. That means an insane owner is sitting in a house worth maybe three quarters of a million bucks. If I had a mad aunt like that, I'm pretty sure I'd have her committed and the estate turned over to someone trustworthy - like me.

No comments: