Sunday 26 August 2007

And you think Sydney buses are slow?

There are only two ways to get around Hotham (if you aren't on skis) - walking or by bus. In the old days (ie, when I first went there), they didn't have buses. They had tractors that pulled a kind of open platform on wheels - like a long, low trailer. If you ask me, the trailer was much better for moving skiers around. Buses suck, unless you are not in ski gear and are going to the pub. It takes too long for people in ski boots to get on and off a bus through doors that are designed for commuters in suits.

When we drove into Hotham (ie, when we paid the extortionate entry fee), we were given a brochure that exclaimed that buses run every 10 minutes.

Ha ha ha.

I caught the bus about 14 times. On four occasions, it took 20 minutes for a bus to arrive. One one, it took 25. I don't know how long it took otherwise as I only started timing my waits towards the end of our stay. I don't know what sort of fantasy land Hotham management is living in, but their pamphlet is for dreamers.

I don't know why the service has gotten so bad. I have been to Hotham 5 or so times now, and this is the first time that I have noticed a crap bus service. Maybe they need more buses. Maybe they need more drivers. I don't know.

The thing I do know is that the mountain was not full when we were there, and we were there for the peak season. I'd hate to think how bad things would be if the place was chock full of people. As it was, buses would often have to pass stops by because the bus was already full, and no one was getting off. I made a mental note to never stay at one of the places halfway down the hill between the Big D and Zirkys. Always stay at one end or the other - it is the only way to guarantee that you'll be able to get on a bus.

Dave blames the new management - the place has been bought out by some property trust, and it is becoming apparent that they know little about running a ski resort. The staff are all in revolt, and the managers appear too clueless to realise even that is going on.

One snippet - we put junior into ski school, and paid for a 5 day lift pass with 1/2 a day of lessons each day. After two days, he started doing lessons all day. I thought the staff would be asking me to pay the difference (about $25 a day), but none of them gave a shit. He got all the extra lessons for free.

J also did a lesson each day. The staff are supposed to "clip" the ticket after each lesson, but few of them bothered. J could have done a lesson in the morning and another in the afternoon if she wanted. No one would have pulled her up.

The ski instructors were also telling clients that if they booked a private lesson, to book it for one person (even if you showed up with 3 friends to create a class of 4 students). A lesson for one person is cheaper than a lesson for 4, and the instructors were so annoyed at the ski school management, that they were conspiring to cost it revenue.

No comments: