Friday 24 August 2007

A coffee in two places

After several road trips, the inside of the car was starting to look like the floor of an Arnotts biscuit factory - crumbs of various types were so thick on the carpet, a large family of rodents could have lived in the car for the next year or so. Today was the day to visit a car wash place to have the thing thoroughly scrubbed out.

Being a cheap bastard, I go to a place run by a Korean just up the road. He looks like a hard bastard to work for, but a complete clean of the Disco only costs $47. An equivalent clean in Mosman costs about $90. He even gives his coffee away for free, whilst the car wash cafe in Mosman charges $90 to clean the car and then $3 on top of that for a coffee.

I settled down to read the papers and accepted his offer of a coffee.

I shouldn't have bothered - it was complete shite.

Thankfully, I was heading east to visit an old friend, and she wanted to have coffee at an arty cafe on Bondi Road.

Now I have been going to Bondi for many years, but I never knew there was an arty cafe anywhere near the place.

It turns out that the cafe is nowhere near the beach - it's about a mile back up the road towards Bondi Junction. I always avoid that strip of road, so it is no wonder that I never knew about this cafe. Apparently only the locals know it is there. Penny told me that "Muggles can't see it" (she lives just around the corner, so she is not a muggle).

As an aside, Penny confessed a complete infatuation with Severus Snape. She suggested that I Google "I love Severus Snape" because apparantly millions of others do too.

I have not taken her up on that suggestion yet.

Anyway - the cafe. I am not going to tell you anything more about it as then more people might go there and that would spoil the marvelous ambience and make it harder for me to get an excellent coffee and would intrude on my time to chat with the magnificent waiters and I wouldn't be able to find space on one of the ratty old sofas - so screw you. You'll have to find it yourself.

Just look for a place with arty looking wankers out the front. Normally, I avoid places like that like the plague, but this one is worth it.

No comments: