Wednesday 4 November 2009

What is the point of a "baby on board" sticker?

I have never seen the point of those "baby on board" thingies that started adorning cars some time back, even though I have lugged two babies tens of thousands of miles in the family urban assault vehicle.

For a start, you'd think that people who are that concerned with their human cargo would drive in a quiet, calm and unhurried manner - as if they were carting around a crate of unstable nitroglycerin (which is what a kid full of watermelon and ice cream can be like). The last thing you'd expect is for them to drive like they were being chased by a horde of the living dead. Which is exactly what happened to me this morning.


Cyclist in yellow pulls out to pass a ute that is turning left. As I am doing 50km/h - the speed limit - I pull out to go around him. Loon in black Lexus carrying a baby on board sign hoons past me, then immediately turns right.

All I could think was, "WTF?" Couldn't you have waited 2 seconds until we got to that corner, rather than overtaking me so closely that I could see the imperfections in your paint work?

No comments: