Friday 13 April 2007

A cure for depression

As I was perusing the Spectator today, I spotted a snippet about how Dr Johnson used to walk to Birmingham and back in a day (32 miles) to ward of depression. I have no idea where he was walking from, but it was a 32 mile round trip. The reasoning given is "that there's time to think, and gradually unfold, while the rhythmic action sorts out the mind, calming nerves and easing pressure."

The same could be said for spending an hour on a bike. Not a stationary bike, but a proper bike - one that thumps along at a rate of knots. I don't find perambulating around at the speed of a slug to be very restful or enjoyable, but belting along at a pace that keeps my heart rate up at about 75% of maximum capacity or more is wonderfully therapeutic.

It doesn't have to be cycling - rowing, swimming, walking or kayaking would do the same. Skiing is even better for clearing the head of all work related rot and pressure. The reason I favour cycling is that it is something that I can do for at least an hour without undue discomfort. I couldn't swim nonstop for an hour.

No comments: