Friday 7 August 2009

Under the bridge

I took a detour on the way home, thinking that the road I was on would loop around and get me to where I wanted to go.

Um, no dice. Just goes to show how well I know my Sydney roads.

I ended up almost directly under the Harbour Bridge. It's a big bugger. Some years ago, I did the bridge climb - something every visitor to Sydney should try. Heights scare me silly, but I did it all the same. The worst bit for me was the very start, when you walk along the girder that I have pointed to with the red arrow. It might not seem very high, but standing down there in the shadows under the bridge is a person. Really, you say? I can't see them.

Yes, because they are very small compared with that very tall bridge. All that you have to walk on when going along that girder is two 6x1 planks laid side by side. Sure, you're tied in so securely that there is no hope of going over the side, but it still gave me the willies.


Very steampunkt. I think the old paint is being sandblasted off at the moment, which explains all the piping and shrouds. The people in this photo give you some idea of the scale.


That's a whole lot of rivets.


No comments: