Friday 21 August 2009

Friday

Is it Friday already? What happened to Thursday? I know what happened on Thursday night - J asked me to watch the kids, and I promptly fell asleep on the couch. The last thing I remember is starting up Wall-E, and when I woke up, they were on to the next movie and well over an hour past their bed time.

Riding this week has been much tougher than last week. By tonight, my leg muscles were a mess. They weren't helped by a badly bungled hill start last night - I had to stop on a very, very steep hill for road works, and when I kicked off, my cleat failed to clip into the pedal properly. That foot slipped wildly off the pedal, I almost started going backwards, and I came within a bee's dick of falling over. The whole shambles resulted in me lightly tearing the quads in both legs. I didn't feel it at the time, but it certainly kicked in about 15 minutes later when I opened the taps in Lilyfield. It was bloody agony there for a minute.

This hasn't been helped by the pace of work picking up. I've had to dial back my departure to 7am, which is no bad thing, but I am not getting home until after sundown. I still try to pack in a full day of doing stuff, which means I am not getting as much rack time as necessary. That explains the impromptu snoozes after dinner.

Regardless of the sore legs, I rode again today. I thought about catching the bus for a few seconds, and then rejected that idea out of hand. So long as I can stand up, I will ride. The first wee hill was nasty - the legs just didn't want to go anywhere near it, but I managed to coax them to the top. I thought that by the time I got into town, they would have warmed up, and it would not hurt so much.

Silly me. They ached all the way from our backyard to the basement carpark at work. They even ached when I went out for lunch. They certainly ached on the way home. How nice to have the weekend to recover.

Speaking of which, time to go face down.

3 comments:

Richard_H said...

You're doing better than me BOAB...

I had a bit of a nasty spill on Thurs, removed a fair chunk of skin from knee and elbow (which of course is why I wear gloves...). Had to raid the First aid cabinet at the office, then, of course the pure, unadulterated joy of ripping out a bunch of hairs with the plaster when it's time to change the dressing. Times like this are of course when we think about shaving our legs.... Oh the shame....

Declined to ride yesterday! Did walk to work though.

Ouchie....

Boy on a bike said...

Did your elbow stick to your desk? Whenever I bark my elbow, the scab never seems to dry properly, and I always find myself glued to my spot.

I am part gorilla, so shaving the legs is not a nice option. I just do my best to stay upright!

Richard_H said...

Yeah,
Stuck a little bit...

See the leakage (*shudder*), quickly go and change the plasters.

Fortunately I'm not too hairy but, there's enough hair to:
a. Stop the sodding plaster from sticking (so you need to use more tape)
b. Hurt like the bejesus when it comes off..

Yah, staying upright is a great idea. Ah well, you ride, you fall. It's been a while since I've had a spill....