Tuesday 5 June 2007

Slurry Hills

I had to go to Surrey Hills today. It's been a long time since I've been down Crown Street, and I had to actually think about how to get there. Luckily, there are street signs on Oxford St that point you in the general direction, except that one of them had been tampered with. The direction signs are green, and someone had stuck a big green bit of stuff over one of them with "Slurry" replacing "Surrey".

I didn't have time to take a photo, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I thought it was mildly amusing.

Whilst there, I stopped for a coffee at an "organic" cafe. Typical bloody inner-Sydney tripe. The coffee wasn't bad, except that at the bottom, there was mud. It reminded me of the lees that you get in an old bottle of red. You don't see that in coffee every day. Maybe it is authentic organic mud from the hillsides of Columbia? Or they just have crap filters and a poor grind.

I sat outside and enjoyed the bracing Autumn air. My vantage point gave me an interesting view of the street, and my car. For instance, I suddenly noticed that a big white scratch has appeared on the front bumper on the passenger side. I didn't put that there. Bugger.

It was only when I got home that it hit me - I didn't see a single pram, baby or pregnant woman during my entire drive through the area, and the subsequent coffee. There were a few people sitting inside the cafe gas bagging. None had kids. There were no prams being pushed up and down the street. There were no dads wandering around with baby in a sling attached to their chest. There were no mothers groups standing around having coffee.

I did find a "Hep C Awareness Centre". It was right next to "The Prostitutes and Streetworkers Alliance Headquarters", which was underneath the "HIV/AIDS Counseling Foundation".

Not the most family friendly area.

No comments: