Sunday 20 May 2007

Dud BBQ

I put the Council to the test again today. Five Dock park is a reasonably short walk from our place, and it was a lovely day, so we strolled over for a quick BBQ and a bit of kick the ball time.

Good thing the park has three BBQ's, as one was completely stuffed. They are the completely horrible electric type, where you press a button, wait 10 minutes for it to heat up, then press the button again because it has turned off automatically, then clean it, then press the button again, then put your snags on it, only to find that only one side is hot, then press the button again .... etc etc etc.

I am so used to these BBQs taking all morning to heat up that we stood around the dud one for a good 10 minutes thinking that it was just taking a while to warm up. Then we determined that the only reason the hot plate had any heat in it was because the sun was out, and it was radiating enough to heat the plate up somewhat. In summer, it would probably get hot enough to fry an egg, but on a cool May day, I could have put my tongue on the hotplate with no fear of singeing.

The big test for the council is to see whether they respond to the message that I have just sent them telling them that the BBQ is stuffed. I'll give them a week, then invite the deputy mayor to meet us there for a cookup, and I'll target that BBQ in particular. I'll give him the tongs, and then 10 minutes later, I'll give him a copy of my message. We'll see how long it takes him to pull out his mobile and reef someone in the maintenance department.

No comments: