Thursday 10 May 2007

Coming soon to a screen near you

I was heading home tonight when I almost ran into this crowd on the on-ramp to the ANZAC Bridge. I was about to charge up the path when I heard this woman yell out, "bike, bike!", looked up and saw a camera crew was spread out all across the path.

All dressed in very modish black of course. They kindly got out of the way, but I was intrigued, so I stopped just around the corner and took this photo of them.

I have no idea what they were filming, and didn't think it would be polite to ask. My first impression is that it was a film school bunch, as the street was not totally over run with catering trucks. Quite a bit of filming is done in Balmain, and some streets are often almost impassable thanks to all the food trucks that are required to keep the crew fed and happy.

One minute later, I am halfway over the bridge when I look to my right and see another bit of stuff being shot on the road below. A lovely three car pile-up had been lovingly recreated with several smashed cars, numerous ambulances, a police car and yes, a horde of catering trucks.

I stopped and watched for a minute or two, but nothing interesting happened (like a car blowing up). I spent a day on a shoot once as an extra for a film school project, and I know just how little happens on your average day. A 10 hour day might produce a minute of usable footage. I always think about that when splicing my home movies.
I tried to zoom in a bit on the car crash. There is one car with its bum sitting on the bonnet of another car, and a green car on its side.

The car that has ridden partly over the top of the other car had flames painted down the side, making it look a bit like a poor Mad Max remake.

Just another day on the bike.

No comments: