Monday 5 November 2007

The weight of gellato

I am sick of lousy icecream. Just sick of it. So I gave up shopping at my local supermarket on the weekend and tried the local fruit and vegie shop instead.

What has that got to do with icecream?

The fruit and vegie shop has a small fridge that is filled to the brim with tubs of "real gellato". I decided to test how "real" it was by purchasing a tub of the chocolate stuff.

1 litre cost me nine bucks. Which is not so bad as far as gellato goes around here. Last time I went out for dessert in Five Wog, it cost me close to thirty buckets for a few small tubs of icy stuff.

The gellato is good. Maybe not as good as my home made affogato, but good nonetheless. And worth nine smackers a tub too. I think I am going to be sent back shortly to buy something like pistachio.

Before trying any, I dropped the tub on my fancy digital kitchen scales. 1 litre weighed 888 grams. I will also have to buy some normal "crap" icecream for the kids (I still buy the most premium variety that our supermarket carries for them), so I'll weigh that when I get the chance.

It will be interesting to compare the two. I figure this gellato stuff is twice as dense as the fluffy, air-filled variety that the supermarket sells. It should be called "ice-air".

Now, I have to stop typing and get back to my plate of melting gellato.

No comments: