Monday 12 November 2007

The Crackberry

In my current workplace, most of the people I am dealing with have a Blackberry. I have a mobile phone that went out of production 3 or 4 years ago.

I had a Blackberry at one stage, and had it for over a year. I barely used it - couldn't see the point of it. If one is organised, and has a team trained to take over your responsibilities when you are not around, then there is no need to be contactable 24 hours a day. The Blackberry is an unfortunate symbol of managers who are disorganised and unable to delegate or give their staff some latitude when it comes to decision making.

It's something I will look at when interviewing people in future. Have they polished their shoes? Are they nervously fingering their Blackberry? I don't care if the shoes are scuffed, but if they have a Blackberry, they ain't getting the job.

No comments: