Wednesday 7 November 2007

The icecream news you've been waiting for

I blogged earlier this week about the weight of a 1 litre tub of gellato.

Tonight was followup night. I bought a 2 litre tub of Streets premium ice cream. A 2 litre tub weighed in at 978 grams. As opposed to 888 grams for a 1 litre tub of "real" gellato.

By doing complicated mathematical stuff, I calculate that the ice cream has only 55% of the density of gellato. I have no idea how much the ice cream cost, since I never pay attention to the prices in the supermarket. Well, ok I do. But my price attention span lasts until the item goes into the shopping basket, and sometimes not even that long. I earn enough money to not really have to give a flying figawi about what most items in the supermarket cost.

But enough of me. The gellato cost $9, so what would be a fair price for the icecream? Given that it weighs more (by 10%), but is half as dense, is a fair price anything less than $9.90 (if you go by weight) or anything less than $4.95 (if you go by density). I don't know - I am so confused.

Put it this way - I don't care about the price comparison. I care a lot about the taste and the mouthfeel. Who gives a bugger if it's cheap? Have you tried one of those soft serve cones that you get from those Mr Whippy look-a-likes? Talk about congealed, sweetened yak fat on a waffle. I prefer to buy up to a taste rather than down to a price.

And there you have it. This weekend might bring a review of the vanilla bean gellato. The chocolate variety is so rich, I'm having really weird dreams. Kind of like cheese dreams, but not quite as vivid and David Lynch. I might be safer with vanilla.

No comments: