Sunday 17 June 2007

Yuk

It's nice that the dams are filling up, but I am getting cabin fever. Whenever I look out the window, it's just too cold and miserable to go for a ride. We've had some dry periods most days this week, but just when I build up the enthusiasm to get on the bike, it starts bucketing down again.

I was forced to go out today - we left the car parked up in Drummoyne to avoid DUI, and I had to go and collect it. What a miserable bloody ride. I didn't bother with the leg warmers, which was a mistake, because as soon as I got out from the protection of the shopping precinct and into the wind, it was just nasty. I usually like to take 10 minutes or so to warm up with some easy riding, but that was not possible today - I just had to get moving in order to warm up as rapidly as possible - as in warming up to avoid hypothermia.

I did pass a few intrepid walkers and runners around the Bay - most of them were rugged up like North Sea fishermen in head to toe oilskins. None of them looked that happy.

There's a big difference between having to ride, as in commuting to work, and not having to ride, as in just going out for a spin to get the blood moving. If I have to get to work, it doesn't matter how miserable the conditions are - you just go - preferably departing during a spell between showers. If that compulsion is not there, it's just too easy to veg.

No comments: