Wednesday 20 June 2007

More meanderings

I went for a slightly longer ride yesterday, thus lifting my weekly distance so far to a humungous 42km.

I used to do that in a day - easily. Clearly, having a month off has not done me any good.

The recent rains have also not done much for the walking paths around the Bay. Drainage doesn't seem to have been on the agenda of the people that built the paths. Whenever we get more than a few millimetres of rain, the walking paths turn into canals. This of course means that even more pedestrians than usual take to the bike paths.



I took my usual route into the city, which goes down Lillyfield Rd, and I spotted this bonehead - again. He always parks his stupid wanky Subaru with spoiler so as to block half of the bike path - the car has a towbar, and the towbar is always hanging out into the path.

The Council of course nevers books him for obstructing the road.



Rather than going into the city, I turned off just before the ANZAC Bridge and headed for Glebe. I drive down that way quite often, and had spotted a bit of a bike lane along the road to Glebe, so I thought I'd try it out.

Part of the way has to be done on the footpath, as it's just too mental to be out on the road. The authorities, in their wisdom, have planted numerous features along the path so as to turn it into an obstacle course. Signs abound in the middle of the path, as does this bus shelter. Note that you can't see past the shelter, so if you approached in incautiously, you could easily collide with someone coming the other way.

This sort of thing would never be tolerated on the road, but Councils and the RTA seem to have the opinion that bikes are different, and bike paths don't need the same level of design and care that roads require.



That really shits me.

No comments: