Friday 22 June 2007

Olive oil

Another amazing thing from The Spectator this week. An unopened bottle of olive oil is good for about 18 months. Once opened, it is good for about six weeks of freshness.

That doesn't bother the Italians, as they use a litre every few weeks. It doesn't bother me too much either, as we seem to chew through it pretty rapidly as well. I like to buy mine in wine bottles. I can then leave them out in the kitchen and they look good (unlike a normal supermarket bottle which looks like crap and should always be left in the cupboard).

After reading that, I am never going to buy a 4 litre tin of oil again. I just can't use it fast enough. We honk through it at a reasonable pace, since I am always roasting eggplant and capsicum and putting the left over capsicum in a jar and filling it with oil. I am also pretty heavy handed when it comes to making hummus and stuff like that. I don't use a few drops - I pour it in. Stuff tastes better then.

No comments: