Saturday 16 June 2007

Bugger bugger bugger

My 'new' mobile phone arrived this week. I bought the same phone that I already have - a Nokia 6210 (I think). I wanted the same phone that I have had for 3 or more years as I have a car kit, and I don't want to change kits.

I also like that model of phone a lot. I do two things with my phone - talk to people on it, and send the occasional text. I don't want email, or a calender or games or an MP3 player or internet access or any of that shit. I don't even want a camera. I just want to be able to talk on it. The 6210 fits the bill admirably. It even has a keypad that fits my clumsy thumbs. I've tried dinky little phones, and had to use a pen to dial the numbers.

Just one problem - I now have to transfer the phone book from one phone to the other, and that involves finding my old Nokia cable and downloading the appropriate software from Nokia and hoping that it works on Vista and then finding that half the bloody numbers don't migrate across properly.

I'm thinking that I will do it all manually. I've got hundreds of numbers in the old phone, but I hardly ring 90% of them. I might just bring them across as I want them. I still have the old phone, which is falling apart, so I can still get into it to get the numbers that I need.

It would be nice if we got SIM cards that had enough memory to hold your entire address book. Then you could just pull the card out and transfer it to the new phone and that would be it.

My SIM card must be 6 or 7 years old. Maybe older. I got it with my first digital phone, and I can't remember when that was. When did the analogue network get closed down? 1999? 2000? Earlier? Whatever. It's an antique SIM card by now.

No comments: