Friday 15 June 2007

More onion jam

Now that we have a cupboard full of onion jam, I have to find ways to eat it. It's not like I want to smear it on toast like vegemite and have it for breakfast - it's a bit too over the top tastewise for that.

A winner of a meal is good old bangers and mash, served with onion gravy. I found a good recipe for onion gravy, and tried it out this week.

If you don't have 5 kilos of onion jam lying around like I do, you fry up some onions until they have caremalised, the take them out of the pan and leave them to one side. Throw in some butter and flour and cook the flour like you are making a white sauce (for say cauliflour cheese). After the flour has been cooking for a few minutes, add stock, tomato paste and (I love this) - beer. I will leave the quantities up to you. It is a taste thing.

Once that sauce or gravy has thickened up a bit, put the onions back in and continue cooking until the gravy is the way you like it.

I didn't have any tomato paste, so I just chopped up a big tomato and threw it in. I also forgot to add stock, but I did add beer, and it turned out really well.

I am going to have to eat 8, 396 sausages over the next few months in order to get through all the onion jam that I have made. If you see me outside a Bunnings running a sausage sizzle, it's me trying to dispose of the excess.

No comments: