Thursday 3 May 2007

I want to live in a country that makes stuff

Ok Kevin, I'm going to get out of bed this weekend and make some stuff.

How about I start with some furniture? Is that ok? I'll have to cut down a few trees to make the furniture - perhaps some old growth Tasmanian forest. Is that alright with you? NO? Why not? You told me to make something.

Well if that's your attitude, I'll go make a car. We'll have to dig up some iron ore to make the steel, and some bauxite to make the aluminium bits, and some coal to provide the energy to smelt that stuff, plus drill up a bit of oil to make the plastic bits, and then dig up some copper for the wiring and... what? You don't want us to dig all that stuff up and burn that coal and produce those plastics? Why not? You told me to make something. Global warming, eh? Well, make up your flipping mind. Do I make stuff or go back to sitting on the couch, watching the football and producing methane?

No comments: