Friday 4 May 2007

Control

I have a small stack of boxes sitting on the floor next to our desk. They contain our new PC and big flat screen. They have been sitting there for 3 days now, and won't be opened until the weekend.

I don't know where this level of self control comes from. Normally, boxes like these have to be ripped open at the earliest opportunity and stuff put together. Leaving it stacked up for days is not in my nature.

Then again, I have pulled hundreds of PC's, monitors, printers, switches, routers, servers and UPS's out of boxes in my time - perhaps thousands - so I am no hurry to do it for the 1001th time. You get over it after a while. Another day, another cardboard box with stuff in it. Ho hum. After all, it's just a bloody computer. So what?

How times have changed. So sad to think that there is no excitement in getting a new PC anymore. If anything, I am dreading the drudgery of setting it up.

On the other hand, a toilet roll holder arrived in the mail this week (a rather late birthday present) and I just had to rip that package open straight away and set it up in the bathroom. It was proudly holding toilet rolls a few minutes after it was opened. Now that was something that I was glad to see.

No comments: